Wednesday 8 May 2013

The map

I always wanted a world map in my document. I love game maps! They make you want to go and explore all these cool places you haven't been to yet... Icewind Dale had the best maps (and best character art) ever... Anyway!

Again - I did a map very early on. It was pretty - if a bit unfinished -and completely useless. It didn't have any relevance to the game's story (because it didn't exist yet) and was more suited to a high-level pitch document than a GDD. I never finished it.
Once the story was finished and I knew exactly what was happening in the game I drew five lines on a piece of paper, and those lines were far more relevant than the drawing above.
This had structure, specific areas and a flow. Perfect! So I refined it...
It stayed in this shape for a very long time, but obviously had to be improved for the final doc. The pretty patrol saved the day! I liked how areas of interest in fantasy/game maps are usually enlarged and highlighted, so I thought I'd give it a go again. I also thought I could use little snippets of the map to illustrate the locations in the game's chapters.


After looking at a bunch of references I started going over the previous sketch.
Refining...
Lines, lines and lines...
...and finally some colour.

Edit: forgot these!

No comments:

Post a Comment